Our latest feast

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Tex Mex Chicken Schnitzel

A few weeks ago to my surprise I won two tickets to The Testing Grounds where they do cooking demonstrations as part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival called Outdoor Essentials.  The Chef of the Day was Mr Paul Wilson who would display his culinary techniques and knowledge.  The package I would also provided me with two copies of his new cookbook Cantina, Recipes from a Mexican Kitchen, which I have to say has recipes in it that made my mouth water from the day I received them in the mail. .    I decided to take Alex, my 13 year old daughter who has already decided that she wants to be a Food Scientist when she grows up!! Yep she's already decided.
 
Alex and I had such a lovely day in the city - it was a girly day, an adventure, something that the two of us girls for some reason rarely do but both always desire to spend mother and daughter time.
 
In such a small space of time, Paul Wilson cooked 3 amazing dishes, passed around foods for us to taste and smell, answered questions and just made everything look so perfectly easy.  We were then treated to one of the dishes he cooked for lunch.  After lunch Alex and I took the opportunity to get a photo taken with this remarkable chef... whom then inspired our Mexican infused dinner later in the evening.
 
Tex Mex Chicken Schnitzel, in my opinion takes Schnitzels to another level.  I must admit I am not a fan of a plain Chicken Schnitzel nor can I say I really enjoy Chicken Parmigiana unless they are 100% homemade.  The mixture of homemade taco seasoning and panko breadcrumbs forms a crunchy coating with enough flavours just to serve on it's own.  However, served with a fresh crunchy coleslaw and Oven Baked Spiced Sweet Potato Chips this meal was complete and enjoyed by one and all.
 

Tex Mex Chicken Schnitzel
(recipe adapted from WW 6 Ingredients Cookbook)

Serves: 4
ProPoints per Serve: 9 using Homemade Taco Seasoning
ProPoints per Serve: 10 using Packet Taco Seasoning
 
4 tablespoons plain flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
100 grams panko breadcrumbs
60 grams homemade taco seasoning or 2 x 30 gram packets Taco Seasoning Mix
4 x 220 gram skinless chicken breast fillets
2 tablespoons canola oil

Place flour on a plate.  Whisk egg with water in a shallow bowl.  Combine breadcrumbs and seasoning on a plate.

Place a chicken fillet in between baking paper and place on chopping board.  Using a mallet or rolling pin pound the chicken until the whole fillet is an even thickness.  Repeat with remaining chicken fillets.

Coat each chicken fillet in flour, then egg mixture and breadcrumb mixture.  Place on a plate.

Heat oil in a large non stick frying pan over medium heat.  Add chicken fillets in pairs, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.

Serve with Coleslaw and Oven Baked Spiced Sweet Potato Chips if desired.

 

No comments: