Our latest feast

Thursday, January 8, 2015

A 'Better" Burger with the Lot


Well when asked where I wanted to go for my birthday dinner celebrations I replied that I actually didn't want to go anywhere I simply wanted to stay home and have homemade hamburgers.  Little did my family know that I had been eyeing of the recipe in the January Weight Watchers Magazine which allows me to have a "guilty" meal without all the guilty baggage.  Finally they all relented and I got my wish.
 
A few minor modifications to the recipe and I had, enjoyed and was defeated by my chosen dinner.  It was yummy and oh so filling - it was magnificent. 
 
We cooked on the barbecue as it was a nice night here in Melbourne but stove top would do just fine. The burger pattie itself was very moist and tasty - the paprika giving it a hint the pattie a hint of smokiness without be as overpowering as liquid smoke or the like. 
 
But as usual "the lot" component hit the comfort zone perfectly... LOL.


A "Better" Burger with the Lot
(recipe adapted from Weight Watchers Magazine January 2015)
 
Serves: 4
ProPoints per Serve: 14
 
500 gram lean beef mince
70 grams fresh breadcrumbs (made from 2 slices bread)
1 egg white
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
2 tablespoon barbecue sauce
salt
freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray
125 grams Weight Watchers Bacon
4 eggs
4  slices 50% less fat tasty cheese
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 wholegrain bread rolls. 50 grams each, split
tomato slices
8 slices canned beetroot drained
lettuce leaves

Combine the beef, breadcrumbs, egg white, paprika, tomato and half the barbecue sauce in a bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Mix well to combine and shape into 4 same sized patties.
 
Heat a barbecue flat plate and spray with cooking spray.  Cook the patties for 5 - 10 minutes each side or until cooked through or to your liking.  Cook the bacon and the pineapple for 4 - 5 minutes each side or until browned.  Place the cheese on patties to melt.  Cook eggs, to your liking
 
Meanwhile, spray a saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.  Cook the onion, stirring, for 5 - 7 minutes or until lightly golden.  Add the vinegar and cook for a further 1 minute or until the liquid evaporates.
 
Grill cut sides of the rolls.  Top with lettuce, tomato, beetroot, patties, cheese, bacon, pineapple, onion and egg.  Top with remaining barbecue sauce and roll tops.

Enjoy.....

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Belated "Happy Birthday" - the hamburger sure looks delicious - have to put that one also on the "to make" list - maree

Jo said...

Thanks Maree... I had a good birthday surrounded by those very important to me.

Let me know how it goes when you make it. Would love some reviews.

Take care, Jo x